Board Names New Superintendent
Mary Shelton will succeed Steven Enoch as the new leader of the San Ramon Valley Unified School District
For Immediate Release
Wednesday, June 6, 2012
Contact: Terry Koehne, Community Relations Director
Phone: 925-552-2942 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Danville – The San Ramon Valley Unified School District Board of Education announced Wednesday evening that Mary Shelton has been selected as the district’s new Superintendent of Schools. Shelton, currently the Chief Accountability Officer for the Sacramento City Unified School District, will replace Steven Enoch, who is retiring after 4 years as Superintendent for SRVUSD and 40 years in public education. Shelton joins the district effective July 1.
"We had an exceptional pool of candidates to select from, with applicants from throughout California and across the country. Mary Shelton quickly rose to the top," said Board President Greg Marvel. "She has a proven track record as an effective educational leader and consensus builder. The Board was particularly impressed with her passion for excellence in public education. That is why the Board members all feel she will be a great fit for our school district and the community."
Shelton has been an administrator in the Sacramento City Unified School District for 11 years, a district that serves 48,000 students on 81 campuses. Prior to her tenure at SCUSD she spent 11 years at Jesuit Catholic High School in Sacramento as a mathematics instructor and assistant principal.
“I was drawn to the San Ramon Valley Unified School District because of the commitment by the Board and staff to continuous improvement for all students,” said Shelton. “SRVUSD is a high-performing district that is intent on equipping all of its students with the knowledge and skills needed for college and careers in the 21st century. I am excited to work with such a focused Board and staff and I am honored to lead a district with such a great reputation.”
Shelton spent her first four years in education teaching college mathematics at Louisiana State University in Shreveport, Louisiana and Millsaps College in Jackson Mississippi. Prior to that she was a computer programmer for Chevron Oil Company in New Orleans, Louisiana.
Shelton has a Bachelors of Science Degree in Secondary Education (Mathematics) from the University of Tennessee and a Masters of Science Degree in Mathematics from the University of Mississippi.
Shelton has two grown children, an attorney and a civil engineer, both live out of the area.
The San Ramon Valley Unified School District encompasses the communities of San Ramon, Danville, Alamo, Blackhawk and Diablo. The district has 35 schools, over 30,000 students, 2,800 employees, and an annual budget of approximately $220 million.
SRVUSD has been consistently recognized for high student achievement and community involvement. Some of the district's recent and ongoing accomplishments include:
- 8th highest unified school district in the State of California according to the California Academic Performance Index (highest among unified districts with more than 9,000 students);
- 95% of graduating seniors attending college or university;
- 41 SRVUSD high school students were chosen as National Merit Scholarship Semi-finalists;
- 14 Contra Costa County Teacher of the Year finalists in the last 15 years;
- Newsweek Magazine included all of SRVUSD’s eligible high schools on its list of “America’s Best High Schools”;
- A public/private partnership that will provide land for future school and park in the Dougherty Valley area of east San Ramon;
- SRVUSD parents provide more than 300,000 hours of volunteer service to the district each year.
* Photo attached
- end -