skip to main content
placeholder for top bar


What are the current graduation requirements and when did they go into effect?

  • Starting with the class of 2019, students are required to have 220 credits in order to meet SRVUSD graduation requirements.

  • This is 20 fewer elective credits than was previously expected of graduating seniors.

  • Students can also choose to take 5, 6, or 7 classes, assuming they have the credits they need to graduate high school on time.


How can my student receive credit for courses taken outside of SRVUSD?  What are the parameters?

  • Up to 40 credits from non-district courses can be included on the official SRVUSD transcript.  These courses can be taken throughout the school year and can be used to fulfill any graduation requirement.
    • Students are limited to 20 credits of outside coursework in one curricular area
    • A maximum of 20 credits per academic year may be placed on the SRVUSD transcript 

  • It is the parent/student’s responsibility to ensure that the outside course is accepted by the UC/CSU system, private colleges and universities, out-of-state institutions, or NCAA as fulfilling entrance requirements. It is the student's responsibility to check with an admissions officer from each campus to which you intend to apply.

  • Courses taken through providers that are WASC-accredited as Supplemental Education will not be accepted for credit. We cannot recommend any specific program, and SRVUSD will not proctor outside exams.

  • Please see the Summer Advancement via Outside Institution page on the website for additional information.

Is it a requirement to include non-District courses on the transcript?

No. The student can decide whether or not they want to include the course on their SRVUSD transcript. However, if a student is taking a graduation requirement (e.g. Algebra I), that course must be included on the SRVUSD transcript.

If my student places a course on the SRVUSD transcript but later wants it removed, is this possible?

No. Once a course is placed on the SRVUSD transcript it cannot be removed.

What impact will the PLIs have on advancement for middle school students?

  • Eighth grade students are welcome to start (and complete) a course for advancement in the spring, however, the course will not be placed on the student’s high school transcript for credit unless they complete it after 8th grade promotion (a note will be made in the comments section of the transcript: “math course taken for advancement”, if applicable).

  • Students taking a high school graduation requirement such as Algebra I must choose to place the course on their SRVUSD transcript.

What are my student’s options for summer school courses?

There are a wide variety of options for students to take classes in the summer:

Are courses taken outside of SRVUSD weighted?

According to School Board Policy:
(1) Grades from non-district courses will be weighted if:
     (a) The equivalent course is offered and weighted in SRVUSD or
     (b) A comparable course is not offered and the course being taken is transferable to the UC and/or CSU systems for college credit.


How can my student qualify for Independent Study PE (ISPE)?

  • Students in grades 6-12 may qualify for ISPE if they participate in an individual sport and work with a certified coach who is not a parent.

  • The application, a list of the required criteria, and individual sports that may qualify a student for ISPE can be found on the Physical Education Page.

What else should I consider when deciding on whether or not to apply for Independent Study PE?

  • Students in grade 7 or 9 who take ISPE are required to complete the Fitnessgram Tests in the spring (per Ed Code) at their school site.

  • ISPE counts as one of the courses in a student’s schedule. It must be either the first or last period of the day.  Students should not be on campus during this time due to supervision issues.  

  • A high school student choosing to participate in ISPE must choose a 6 or 7 period day (including ISPE).

  • A middle school student choosing to participate in ISPE must choose a 7 period day (including ISPE).

  • The following is a list of individual sports that can qualify a student for ISPE:  Dance (e.g. ballet, tap, swing, hip-hop), Golf, Gymnastics, Ice skating, Swim, Tennis, Aerial Dance, Archery, Bicycle (e.g. BMX, racing, jumping, mountain), Boating, Bob-sledding, Boxing , Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Equestrian, Fencing, Martial Arts, Skiing/Snowboarding, Surfing, Running, Race Walking & Cross Country, Triathlete Training


How can my high school student receive credit for taking language classes?

  • In order to receive SRVUSD credit for a language class, it must be taken through one of our approved institutions.  Check back frequently as more institutions may be added (Language Schools Page).

  • A student cannot get credit for a language course that their home school offers (e.g. a student at DVHS cannot get credit for Chinese through a Language School since Chinese is already offered at DVHS).

  • Language School credits DO NOT count as part of the 40 non-District course credits that can be placed on the SRVUSD transcript


How can my student receive credit for internships?

  • Students now have two opportunities to receive credit for internships:

    • The iQuest course is offered at each of our comprehensive high schools.  This is a more structured environment and students are supported in finding internships.

    • Students can also receive SRVUSD credit for participating in internships that they find on their own.  These must be year-long internships.  There will be an application process and students must be approved to enroll in this course.  See the Internships Page for more information.


What impact does taking 6 or 7 classes at the middle school level have on my child?

  • Students can choose to take either 6 or 7 classes at the middle school level.

  • Students taking 6 classes will be assigned an unscheduled period at the beginning or end of the day.

  • If students choose to take 6 classes, they are choosing not to take one elective class.

  • Students must choose the 7 class option if they want to do Independent Study PE.