skip to main content
placeholder for top bar
DVC and all other California community colleges offer free tuition for any high school student.  Textbooks and other fees may apply.


2024-2025 Summer Advancement Application - Deadline June 27, 2024

Students are able to take courses to advance to a higher level course for the next school year beginning in the spring of each year. The following criteria must be met:
  • Students may not begin a course until after the first day of the second semester of their 8th grade year (courses taken before that are not allowed).
  • Students in 8th grade cannot complete a course prior to the last day of school (June 5, 2024) regardless of whether or not the course is going to be placed on the SRVUSD transcript.
Note: If a student wants to take Algebra 1 outside of SRVUSD, the student must place the course onto her/his SRVUSD high school transcript, and therefore cannot complete the course prior to the last day of eighth grade. 
  • Courses must be taken from institutions that meet these requirements:
- Institution is WASC or regionally accredited and offer coursework that leads to a high school diploma
  Institutions that have only Supplemental accreditation do not qualify (i.e. Art of Problem Solving, John Hopkins Center for Talented Youth, UC Scout, Language Bird, etc.)
- Institution issues letter grades and official transcripts 
  • Students can only advance one level per subject, per year 
  • There is a limit of 4 classes (40 high school credits) that can be placed on the transcript over a student's four years in high school, with students being able to place only 20 credits per academic year, and a maximum of 20 credits in any given subject area.
  • It is up to the student/parent to confirm that the course/institution chosen meets NCAA eligibility requirements
  • If students have questions, they should confirm eligibility with their counselor prior to enrolling in the course. 


The list in the above link is a fairly comprehensive list of courses and institutions that are most commonly used for Advancement purposes.  The information presented here is accurate.  However, it is the student's/parent's responsibility to verify that institutions still have the necessary accreditation and that courses are still UC approved by going to the links given in the document prior to enrolling in a course. (Accreditation and UC approval can change from year to year.)
If you have questions about a specific course or institution that you do not see on the list, check first to see if they have the necessary accreditation,  UC approval and that they issue letter grades and official transcripts.  If they don't, then they probably are not acceptable.
**Please note:  UC Scout is approved for the UC system; however, it may not be accepted by private California colleges and out of state universities.  Please verify with each college on the student's application list to ensure they will get credit for entrance requirements.


Enrolling in the SRVUSD Summer Advancement Program is a multi-step process:
Step 1 - Enroll in the advancement class at the desired institution
Step 2 - Submit an SRVUSD Advancement Application, including required Proof of Enrollment documentation (see below)
  • Valid 6-digit student ID numbers are required.  ID numbers can be found on your Parent Portal and/or on your student's ID card.
  • Upload required Proof of Enrollment documentation to application
Proof of Enrollment must include all of the following information:
  • Student's name
  • Name of the Institution
  • Course name/number
    • Proof of Enrollment must be provided for both parts of a two-part course (i.e. GEOM 041  & GEOM 043) 
  • Must reflect that enrollment is complete/paid in full
    • Copies of Quarry Lane contracts are not acceptable.  Ask for an Account Statement that reflects payment was made.
Step 3 - Submit an official transcript to the Registrar at your school site.  If the institution offers an email option to send it directly to your school, this is acceptable and will be considered an official copy. (Transcripts emailed from a student/parent are not considered official.)  Students who wish to post the outside course to their SRVUSD transcript must also submit the Application to Place Credit form available from your school registrar.
Submit documents to your school's Registrar:
California High - Vinita Battu,  


This Timeline applies for courses taken at all institutions.  
  • June 27 @ 11:59 pm - Advancement application closes and Proof of Enrollments are due 
  • August 16 - Official transcripts are due to your high school counseling office.  Alternatively, If the institution offers an email option to send it directly to your school, this is acceptable and will be considered an official copy. (Transcripts emailed from a student/parent are not considered official.)  


Once an application has been submitted, it will be reviewed within a 10 working day period. Upon review, parents will receive an email notifying them of the application's status. 
  • If the document that was submitted as the Proof of Enrollment was acceptable and all other information is complete and accurate, the application will be approved and parents will receive an email notification of the approval.
NOTE: Applications will NOT be approved without proof of enrollment for BOTH parts of two-part courses (i.e. - BYU GEOM 041 AND GEOM 043).
  • If the Proof of Enrollment document is missing, incorrect, or not sufficient, parents will receive an email notifying them that additional documentation is required.
Parents can log back in to their IK-12 application account to upload additional documents.
  • Parents can monitor the status of their application by logging in to their application.
The status of applications that require additional documentation will be listed as "Pending Approval" until the required documents have been received and reviewed.  Please allow 10 working days from submission of the additional documentation for processing. 
  • If proper documentation is not received by the June 23 deadline, the application will be canceled.